Sunday, November 15, 2009

BP12_20091115_Peer response 2

I have NO idea why I have not used this before! Itunes U is going to be the next Web 2.0 tool that I use in my classroom. Itunes U is a collection of podcasts ranging from video lectures to interviews and includes many different categories. I have always known about podcasts, but just never really thought about how to incorporate it into my classroom. Probably because my district blocks itunes. As I was looking through itunes U, I came across a great podcast that talks about the history of Jazz. I am a huge Jazz lover! I came across a great podcast talking about jazz pianist Bill Evans, his influence, and how he lead the way for future jazz pianists in the 1960’s and 1970’s. As I was listening to the podcast, all I could think about was how this was a goldmine.


In my classroom, I like to teach my students how specific genres came about. For instance, every year I l like to teach my students the history of Hip-Hop. I would like to stretch myself even more and begin teaching students about the history of Jazz. This history of Jazz collection would be a great tool for students to use to learn more about this particular genre.


It would be great to use one of these podcasts for a quiz. I would require the students listen to a particular podcast through the week. After they have the week to listen and absorb, I would give a quiz at the end of the week. This quiz would have questions that the students could answer only by listening to the 12 minute podcast. This a great way for students to learn what a powerful tool itunes U can be. And the next best thing about itunes U is that the podcasts are free. All students can access it and it doesn’t cost a dime!

POSTED BY XAVIER AT 6:27 PM
1 COMMENTS:

kc88keyz said...
I totally agree about iTunes U which I just recently discovered - what a wonderful resource and strangely something that I think I can use without having to go way out of the way around the district roadblocks! Thanks for your insights! Hope things are going well for you!
Kathy

NOVEMBER 15, 2009 9:03 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment